Call for applications: SOMA Summer 2018 in MexicoCamps 04.12.2017
Deadline: 5 February 2018 (24:00 hrs - Mexico City time)
Open to: international artists, curators, critics, and art historians
Venue: July 3 – August 24, 2018 in Mexico City
SOMA Summer is a unique eight-week program for international artists, curators, critics, and art historians in Mexico City.
SOMA Summer introduces participants to the dynamic art scene of Mexico City through visits to museums, cultural institutions, and artists’ studios. Designed to promote intense creative work and dialogue, the program is built around a series of seminars and lectures led by renowned Mexican and international artists. Participants meet weekly for individual critiques with a variety of artists and curators, while engaging in public programs, site visits, and other activities in and around Mexico City.
SOMA is a space for reconsideration and reflection. Each SOMA Summer is organized around a specific conceptual framework and provides a compelling platform for artists who want to critically analyze their work, while developing new ideas. We stress the importance of our program content, and would discourage applicants who are primarily looking for a studio-based residency. SOMA facilities offer shared studio spaces. Although labs and workshops are not available, we do provide logistical support for producing work and organizing events within Mexico City.
Applicants must demonstrate significant experience in their field. Many of our applicants have completed or are in the process of completing their MFA/MA. But artists who are not enrolled in academic institutions, or who don't hold a degree, are welcome to apply. Accepted candidates are expected to participate in all program activities.
- Tuition is $3,600 USD for the eight-week program, which does not include accommodations, per diem or transportation.
- Tuition can be paid in three installments:I. $500 due May 1, 2015 (non-refundable)II. $1,550 due June 1, 2015 III. $1,550 due July 6, 2015
- What’s a reasonable budget for housing, food, transportation and recreation during the 8-weeks?
- $2,400 USD is a reasonable approximate budget for the eight-week stay in Mexico City.
- This budget should allow you to cover housing, food, recreation and transportation. A total of $6,000 USD is a reasonable budget covering ALL expenses.
You application must include:
- Artist Statement (800 words)
- Letter of Interest explaining your interest in attending the program (500 words)
- Short Bio (two paragraphs)
- Three References including name, last name and contact information Copy of Valid Passport
- 15 images of recent work including technical info and, if needed, a description of the project in PDF formatIn case of having video/sound pieces, include the url of the vimeo/youtube/soundcloud link, where the material can be seenIn case of having writing samples, your portfolio must include a maximum of 3 texts (7,000 words each).
- Please indicate whether or not, each text has been published.
In order to apply, register HERE.