Call for Applications, 2018 edition of the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities’ in FranceCamps 05.12.2017
Deadline: 8 January 2018
Open to: participants between the ages of 18 and 30 years old, have been resident in one of the Council of Europe member States for a minimum of five years
Venue: 27-29 March 2018 and 6-8 November 2018 in Strasbourg, France
The Congress is a pan-European political assembly, its 648 members hold elective office (they may be regional or municipal councillors, mayors or presidents of regional authorities) and represent over 200,000 authorities in 47 European States. Its role is to promote local and regional democracy, improve local and regional governance and strengthen authorities' self-government. It meets in session twice a year. Like other political assemblies, such as national parliaments or local/regional councils, the sessions are formal gatherings where the Congress members examine reports, hold thematic debates and adopt recommendations.
By inviting a number of young people to take an active part in its 34th and 35th sessions the Congress aims to give young people an opportunity to give their opinions about all the issues being discussed directly to the local and regional elected representatives.
In order to be considered eligible to apply, you must fulfill all of the following criteria:
- be open, committed and motivated to develop and strengthen dialogue between young people and elected representatives at local/regional level;
- be between 18 and 30 years old;
- have been resident in one of the Council of Europe member States for a minimum of five years and live in the country which they will represent for the duration of their participation;
- be active in youth work at local and regional levels;
- be available to engage in the whole of the activity including the preparation of grass-roots projects;
- have an interest in actively participating in policy making at local and/or regional levels;
- be able to multiply the information obtained during the session on their return home;
- speak English fluently
The youth delegates’ travel and subsistence expenses will be covered by the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities according to the Council of Europe’s rules. Accommodation will be provided and paid for by the organisers, in single-occupancy or shared rooms according to availability. The organisers cannot cover the cost of accommodation elsewhere.
Those wishing to apply to take part in the 34th and 35th Congress sessions must do so by means of the application form enclosed. Participation in only one session is not possible. Applicants must also submit a short video, via YouTube, of no more than 30 seconds, to support their application. The link to the video (title should contain only the applicant’s name and country) should be sent together with the application.
The deadline for submitting completed applications is 8 January 2018. The youth delegates will be selected by a selection panel which includes the Congress’ Spokesperson on Youth, the youth trainers and two members of the Council of Europe’s Advisory Council on Youth. The panel will ensure that the selected applicants represent a balanced group with regard to gender, cultural background and experience.
Applicants will be informed of the results of the selection procedure by mid February 2018.
In order to apply, register HERE.
If you have any questions, please write to: firstname.lastname@example.org.