Call for Applications, Critical Concrete Summer School 2018Camps 07.12.2017
Deadline: application deadline will be soon announced
Open to: participants who have a strong interest, in architecture, DIY culture, sustainable construction, temporary architecture, social involvement
Venue: 30 july– 19 august 2018 in Porto, Portugal
The annual Summer school is a design/build educational format with tangible social impact that is capable of filling the gap in architectural education, which is often being separated from construction. The crucial skills for architectural profession that Critical Concrete provides, is gained while improving housing conditions of local families in need.
Critical Concrete reflects on a paradigmatic shift in the role of architect in today’s society. Rather than contributing to autonomous building-making that often disregard the context of the architectural intervention, it promotes a position of a citizen with expertise, who acts from within the community.
International students gain a valuable hands-on experience by thinking through making, in the design/build tradition, while networking with other like-minded people and exchanging their skills and knowledge. Get inspired by the theoretical input given by recognised local and international mentors during the whole process of the project!
In order to be considered eligible to apply, you must fulfill all of the following criteria:
- You must be 18 or older
- You should have a strong interest, in architecture, DIY culture, sustainable construction, temporary architecture, social involvement.
- You don’t have to be an experienced builder.
The fee for one the architecture program Practice & Theory of Sustainable and Social Architecture, for three weeks of courses and workshops, is 990€ for early birds (apply before March 1st, 2018), 1190€ for late birds.
This fee includes:
- the theoretical and practical courses
- the construction materials and availability of enough working tools. You’re also very welcome to bring your favorite cordless drills (and put your name on it)!!
- lunch from Monday to Friday (vegetarian)
We’ll suggest cheap hostel situation around the working sites (10-15€/night) to the summer program’s students.
There is no application fee, but places are limited. The earlier you apply the higher the chance to participate in the program. Please check the workshop fee in the next point.
- a full online application form
- a comprehensive CV as PDF/Word/Openoffice document, maximum 2MB
- if applicable, a portfolio of current practices, in PDF format containing links to online works, maximum 5MB
Once you get accepted, you’ll be asked to pay a security deposit of 500€ within two weeks to secure your place in the course.
In order to apply, register HERE.
If you have any questions, please write to: firstname.lastname@example.org.