Call for Applications, International Student Week in Ilmenau, GermanyCamps 24.10.2018
The “International Student Week in Ilmenau” (ISWI) is a conference for students organized by students. It takes place biannually at the campus of Technische Universität Ilmenau.
Over 340 participants from more than 70 different countries took part in the last ISWI in 2017. Compared to other similar events ISWI is known for its focus on group work, lectures and debates on a certain main topic, to which the conference is dedicated. As main topic the organizing committee always tries to find areas of tension that include recent problems and developments in the world.
The main aim of the ISWI is to bring young people from all over the world together and serve as a platform for exchange and getting to know each other as well as for discussion and working out ideas to solve recent problems. The official language of the conference is English.
- You must be at least 18 years old and be a student at the time of the conference (May 17 2019).
- We can only accept applications in English since the conference language is English.
- The deadline for applications is the 11 November 2018 (at 11:59 pm Central European Time).
- Do not copy any texts from the Internet, books, friends or other sources. Mark every quotation and state the source. Applications containing plagiarism will not be taken into consideration!
You will have to pay for your travel and visa expenses. Accommodation during the conference and basic meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner) will be provided by organisers. There is no participation fee for this conference. In addition, you will have free entry to all ISWI 2019 cultural events.
The application consists of 2 steps:
- Register an account for your application by entering your email address and confirming the link we send to you.
- Fill in your personal data.
- State details about your studies.
- State any preferences you have concerning your stay.
- Select the working group you would like to participate in during the conference (You can state your three top preferences, but you will only be able to take part in one group, according to our capacities). Check out here which working groups we offer for ISWI 2019.
- Write your application (2 short essays, each between 200 and 500 words):
- Essay 1: The topic of ISWI 2019 is “Tradition and Transition” and our motto is “Changes and Choices: Good by(e) Tradition?”. What does “Tradition and Transition” mean to you? What comes to your mind, when you read our motto? What is your motivation to join ISWI 2019 (you must write between 200 and 500 words)?
- Essay 2: Above, you chose the working group that you would like to join during ISWI 2019. What was the reason for your 1st wish? What is your personal connection to that topic? Please explain your choice briefly (you must write between 200 and 500 words).
- Tell us briefly about your experience (international experiences, social commitments, NGO work etc.)
- Submit your application by clicking on the green “Send Application” button.
Tip: Use a text document to compose your essays before you apply. This way, you can take your time to write the essays. Furthermore, your essays won’t get lost when your Internet connection breaks down.
We will start reading your application as soon as you click on the green “Send Application” button. This needs to be done before the deadline, or your application will not be considered. The whole process of evaluating the applications can last up to two months. Afterwards, you will receive an email indicating whether or not you have been invited for ISWI 2019. We will send that information presumably at the end of December 2018 or the beginning of January 2019. Those who have been chosen to participate in ISWI 2019 will get an official invitation by that email, too.
We are sorry that, due to limited capacities, we won’t be able to accept all applicants. We wish you good luck and a successful application!
In order to apply, .