Call for Applications for the European Forum Alpbach 2019Camps 04.03.2019
The Club Alpbach Brussels is offering scholarships to motivated students and young professionals to attend the European Forum Alpbach 2019.
The European Forum Alpbach is an annual conference taking place the Austrian Alps that has been attracting world leading thinkers and practitioners since 1945: economist Friedrich Hayek, physicist Erwin Schrödinger and philosopher Theodor Adorno attended regularly, as have more recently UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon, EU Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker, and economist Jeffrey Sachs.
Every year, about 4,000 participants from over 60 countries meet to discuss emerging trends in eight broad fields: European and international politics, technology, economics, law, financial markets, public health, higher education, as well as architecture and urban planning. Each of these fields has a dedicated "symposium" in the conference schedule.
All of the events, however, are united by a loose, overarching theme: in 2018, the European Forum Alpbach addressed questions on “Diversity & Resilience”. This year the topic will be on "Liberty and Security" (more info on www.alpbach.org).
Note that almost all of the Forum's events are conducted in English and there is no requirement to speak German.
Our scholarship covers the entire conference fee (1,400€). While we do not cover costs for accommodation, we have pre-reserved affordable accommodation in the centre of Alpbach. Travel costs and meals are not included.
Successful applicants will be invited to a scholarship award ceremony in June 2019.
Please note that the European Forum Alpbach is also directly awarding scholarships, therefore, we recommend that you apply to both scholarships to maximize your chances.
- Students and recent graduates under 30 who study or work in Belgium (or Belgian nationals). Since we are aiming at further promoting internationality at the Forum, Austrians are not eligible to apply for our scholarships. Austrian applicants should refer to one of the Austrian Clubs (Forum Alpbach Network).
- Ideally you are planning to be in Belgium from September 2019, as we hope you will continue to play an active role in
- our Club. However, this is not a mandatory requirement to apply.
- Please note that we require our scholarship holders to attend the Forum in its entirety (17 days), so please only apply if
- you are available for the whole period.
- Quality of the cover letter
- Proficiency in English
- Demonstration of engagement and academic performance (professional experience, extra-curricular activities...)
- If you fancy giving your summer a social and intellectual boost at 1,000 meters above sea level, then send us your application by the 20th of March, 2019!
- The application deadline is the 20th of March, 2019 at 23.59 CET. We will contact you in April with feedback on the success of your application.
More info on www.alpbach.org