Subsea Optical Fiber Communications 2019 International Summer SchoolCamps 10.03.2019
Deadline: 30 March 2019
Open to: early-stage researchers, engineers and PhD or Master's students
Venue: 04 – 10 August 2019 in Polvijärvi, Finland
Are you an early-stage researcher, engineer, PhD, or Master's student looking for an exciting new opportunity in technology? Apply now to attend the inaugural Subsea Optical Fiber Communications 2019 International Summer School! Applications are due 30 March 2019, and invitations to those selected to attend will be sent late April 2019.
Ninety nine percent of all international data traffic travels through the 1.2 million km of subsea optical fiber in use in subsea cables today. That data traffic is set to double in the next three years. During this summer school program, speakers from Google, Facebook, Subcom, Alcatel Submarine Networks, NEC and more will work with attendees to help them understand and prepare to work on solutions for the challenges ahead. Don't miss this opportunity to hear from leaders in the field!
Topics to be covered include:
- The history and future of submarine cables
- Basics of coherent digital optical communications
- Architectures and management of submarine networks
- Submarine fiber and cable technology
- System planning and deployment
- Marine and maintenance
The Subsea Optical Fiber Communications 2019 International Summer School is for early-stage researchers, engineers and PhD or Master's students that would like to learn more about this exciting field. This is a unique opportunity, that you don't want to miss!
Registration Fee: $500USD (due at time of registration following acceptance). Registration includes all meals and accommodations from 4 - 10 August and all meeting publications. Fee is due at the time of registration and any registration grants will be applied at the time of payment.
Travel: Attendees are responsible for their own travel to and from the school and details regarding travel will be provided to those accepted.
Visa: Please check with your home country on VISA requirements and if you need a VISA letter contact us and we will have one emailed to you.
Grants: Travel and registration grants will be available based on need.
Other Funding Sources to Consider: Grant funds are limited and you should research all potential funding support such as your university, organization, or government for alternative funding opportunities.
To apply, please login to the OSA SPECTRUM portal, create a profile, and submit your application.
- Step 1 - Login to OSA SPECTRUM
- If you are a member of OSA you can use your current OSA login credentials
- If you are not a member, you will create a simple profile and login
- Step 2 - The application will ask you a series of questions:
- Describe why you would like to attend the Subsea summer school (250 word maximum)
- Please share how your current work relates to the Subsea summer school (250 word maximum)
- Professional Statement – Please describe how this school will impact your research and career goals (500 word maximum)
- Step 3 - Upload supporting documents
- Resume / CV
- Personal Statement (This is where we want you to tell us about yourself beyond the lab and classroom)
- Step 4 - Select References (2)
- You will add two references who will then receive a link to login and upload a letter of reference in support of your attendance to the school. (Please reach out to your references before you add them as an automated email will go out as soon as you confirm them and you want to be sure they will be able to provide this document for you)
- Step 5 - Click SUBMIT
- Please check back to ensure your references are complete before the application deadline 30 March 2019