Call for Awareness-raising campaign on migration and COVID-19 in West and Central AfricaEvents 28.04.2020
Deadline: 30 April 2020
UNESCO is implementing a project entitled “Empowering Young People in Africa through Media and Communication”, which benefits to eight countries in West and Central Africa: Cameroon, Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana, Guinea-Conakry, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, and Senegal.
The main objective of the project is to empower young boys and girls to make informed decisions on migration issues through better access to quality information.
Since first being recorded late last year in China, the Covid-19 coronavirus has spread around the world and been declared a pandemic by the World Health Organization, affecting more than 2,2 million people in nearly 200 countries. The epidemiological situation is constantly shifting as the numbers of new cases and deaths change on a daily basis.
In such a context and within the framework of the project, the UNESCO Regional Office for West Africa (Sahel) is planning to implement an awareness-raising campaign among local populations in order to fight, through the mobilization of national and local media, against the misinformation and discrimination against migrants in the target countries.
Within the framework of this activity, UNESCO Dakar seeks to engage an organization to contribute to the fight against discrimination against migrants through the translation and production in HD audio formats of ten (10) messages, in national and local languages, to be disseminated among national and local media.
The main objective of the project is to empower young boys and girls to make informed decisions on migration issues through better access to quality information (ODD 16.10). Moreover, the project aims at
- Strengthening the access to quality information for the population in West and Central Africa (in particular the youth, considered as the most vulnerable) on migration, including irregular migration (root causes, flows, risks), in the sub-region and towards Europe.
- Promoting gender equality in capacity building of media professionals, editorial content, and access to information, in relation to migration issues.
- Supporting peaceful dialogue between migrants and host communities in the target countries through media and communication.
- Strengthen the capacities of journalists (especially young journalists) to produce ethical and professional reporting, including in the field of investigative journalism, on migration.
- Strengthening the capacities of young artists to produce content on migration.
Visit the official website for more details.
- At least five (05) years of experience in the management of project development in the field of communication and information ;
- Demonstrated experience in working with national and local media (TV, radio, print and online media, community radio) in West and Central Africa, particularly in the target countries;
- Good knowledge of the challenges and issues of migration in West and Central Africa, and of the media perspective;
- Demonstrated capacity in planning, management and reporting of activities;
- Previous experience with United Nations agencies would be an important asset;
- Excellent writing skills in English and/or French, and very good knowledge of the selected languages of this activity
For more information website