Call for Applications, Rethink.CEE FellowshipFellowship 20.12.2017
Rethink.CEE Fellowship — Call for Applications
A quarter of a century after it began, the democratic transformation of Central and Eastern Europe has ground to a halt. From within, the region is challenged by ruthless power politics, weak institutions, beleaguered civil society and media, reform fatigue, and a return of traditional nationalism and phobias. Europe and the West broadly, once the desired endpoint of the region’s transformation, have lost their attractiveness; their current weakness opens a vacuum that is filled with powerful counter-narratives. Fanning these is Russia, which has reinserted itself into the entire region, which it once ruled and seems determined to control once again. The combined effect of these internal and external developments is that the entire Eastern half of Europe is at risk of reversing democracy, forfeiting prosperity achieved, and returning to the instability and insecurity that has wrecked this region for centuries. What is at stake, in short, is the grand vision of a Europe whole, free and at peace.
Given these mounting challenges, regional and Western debates urgently need fresh thinking. For this reason, The German Marshall Fund of the United States, through its Black Sea Trust for Regional Cooperation, is launching a new fellowship program for next-generation policy experts and analysts from Central and Eastern Europe.
Who we are looking for:
- Young Policy experts and analysts from Central Europe (Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Slovakia) and the Eastern Partnership countries (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova, Ukraine)
- Maximum age: 35 years
- Proven track record of innovative policy analysis at a national, regional or international think tank, university, business, governmental institution, or nongovernmental organization
- Concrete projects for policy research that address the current and coming challenges for Central and Eastern Europe from a regional rather than country perspective
What we offer:
- Affiliation with The German Marshall Fund of the United States, a premier transatlantic think tank
- Access to our network of policy professionals and tailor-made support in undertaking policy research
- A three-month stay at our offices in Berlin, Bucharest, and/or Warsaw (other GMF offices can be considered)
- Full coverage of travel, board and lodging for the purposes of the fellowship
- A monthly stipend
What you need to apply:
- A letter of intent outlining your research project
- Your CV
- A recent publication (policy paper, article, op-ed) in English authored by you
Applications should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please mention “Policy Fellowship” as subject. The deadline for applications is January 21, 2018.