Humboldt Research Fellowships for Postdoctoral ResearchersFellowship 18.05.2020
The Humboldt Research Fellowships for Postdoctoral Researchers enable highly-qualified scientists and scholars who are embarking on their academic careers and who completed their doctorates less than four years ago to spend extended periods of research in Germany. Scientists and scholars from all disciplines and countries may apply and applications can be submitted at any time.
To be eligible for this scholarship, you need to:
- Have a doctorate or comparable academic degree (Ph.D., C.Sc. or equivalent) completed less than four years prior to the date of application. Candidates who have nearly completed their doctoral degrees are eligible to apply provided that they submit the manuscript of their dissertation or publications containing the results of their dissertation.
Eligible applicants must have lived outside Germany for a minimum of 12 months in total in the 18-month period prior to submission of the application. Potential applicants who have been in Germany for more than 6 months at the time of application are not eligible to apply.
Please see the Humboldt Research Fellowships for Postdoctoral Researchers website for further details.
Applications are assessed on the basis of independent peer reviews requested by the Humboldt Foundation. The final decision is taken by a committee composed of academics from all disciplines in the framework of the funding available.
Applications can be submitted via the Humboldt Foundation website at any time.
Details of the research outline including information on the intended duration of the fellowship must be agreed with the intended Host Institution before applying. Applications need to include a Host’s statement and confirmation of research facilities. The completed application form, including the necessary additional documents, should be submitted at least four to seven months ahead of the prospective selection date.
For enquiries contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition to the “Humboldt Research Fellowships for Postdoctoral Researchers”, the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation also offer a large range of scholarships, funding and awards. Australian citizens may be interested in:
- “Humboldt Research Awards” with a value of up to €60,000.
- “Humboldt Research Fellowships for Experienced Researchers” with a stipend of €3,170 per month (plus allowances & expenses).
- “Friedrich Wilhelm Bessel Research Awards" with a value of up to €45,000.
- “Fraunhofer-Bessel Research Awards" with a value of up to €45,000.
- “Alexander von Humboldt Professorships” with a value of up to €1,250,000.
What are the benefits?
The duration of the fellowship funding is from 6 to 24 months. The benefits of the fellowship include:
- A stipend of €2,670 per month plus research expenses and allowances is provided. Invitations to events and language courses can also be provided
- A lump sum for the fellow’s travel expenses if the costs are not borne by a third party
- Language fellowship for an intensive language course lasting two to four months at selected language institutes in Germany immediately prior to the actual period of research; language fellowships may also be granted to accompanying marital partners
- Family allowances for accompanying family members staying at least three months (monthly allowance: up to €346 for marital partners and up to €274 for each child)
- For single-parents: flat-rate allowance for accompanying children (under the age of 18) for stays of at least three months (€400 per month for the first child and €100 per month for every additional child)
- Additional extension of the fellowship up to 12 months for research fellows accompanied by children under the age of 12
- A subsidy towards research costs to be paid to the hosts in Germany amounting to €800 per month (for research in the natural sciences and engineering) and €500 (for research in the humanities and social sciences)
- A Europe allowance for a research stay at a research institute in another European country (though not the research fellow’s own country); for a designated period in the course of the fellowship if necessary to ensure the success of the research
- Extensive alumni sponsorship once a successful research stay has come to an end, especially for maintaining contacts with collaborative partners in Germany during the Humboldtian’s entire academic career
For more information visit the official website: https://scholarships.unimelb.edu.au/awards/humboldt-research-fellowships-for-postdoctoral-researchers