Call for Applications: ''INDIVIDUAL GRANTS FOR YOUNG RESEARCHERS''Grants 02.05.2020
Deadline: 2 june 2020
OBJECTIVE OF THE CALL
As part of the UCAJEDI Excellence Initiative and its attractiveness policy, Université Côte d'Azur is launching a call for "Individual Grants for Young Researchers" applications, which aims to promote the recruitment of young researchers at the post-doctoral level.
This call will allow young, top-level scientists to join a Université Côte d'Azur laboratory for 18 months, with the explicit and contractual objectives:
* to allow the post-doctoral fellow to prepare an application for a CR (chargé de recherché) position in a French public scientific and technological establishment (EPST), by listing the Université Côte d'Azur host laboratory as her or his top placement choice,
* to allow the post-doctoral project supervisor to apply for an ERC grant within two years of the recruitment.
The call is endowed to fund 6 contracts.
All disciplines and themes are eligible.
ARTICLE 2 – SELECTION CRITERIA FOR PROJECTS
- Ability to meet the objectives of the call for applications
- Quality of the candidate’s CV (degrees, publications, credibility of career plan)
- Scientific quality of the proposed project (importance of the question, originality, technical feasibility given the duration of the contract).
- Adequacy of the host laboratory to carry out the research project.
- Quality of the host laboratory and CV of the supervisor (publications, scientific and technical environment, etc.).
ARTICLE 3 – DURATION
The funding duration will be for 18 months.
ARTICLE 4 – NOT COMBINABLE
These individual fellowships cannot be combined with other funding.
Candidates who have applied to other organizations for the same period must, if successful, make their choice known as soon as possible to Université Côte d'Azur. If they do not choose the UCA offer, the funding cannot be postponed. The funding will thus be offered to another candidate, from the complementary ranked list.
ARTICLE 5 – CHANGE OF CIRCUMSTANCES
If recruitment to an external organization occurs during the funding period, it is up to the postdoctoral fellow to notify Université Côte d'Azur in writing; it is generally the responsibility of the fellow to notify the university of any change in his or her administrative situation.
ARTICLE 6 – ACTIVITY REPORT
At the end of the funding period, an end of project form, provided by the IDEX office, must be completed as an activity report.
The publications corresponding to the project must mention the origin of the financial support in the form of the standard acknowledgments to the ANR and include the Université Côte d'Azur signature as part of the author affiliations.
ARTICLE 7 – SELECTION COMMITTEE
An ad hoc selection committee will be established with the support of the Université Côte d’Azur graduate schools (EUR); it will be chaired by the Director of the UCAJEDI Research Program.
This committee will be responsible for assessing and ranking the applications.
The committee may be assisted, as necessary, by specialists who are able to provide an informed opinion on each application.
The committee will submit its opinion to the Idex office, which will ultimately decide the final ranking of the candidates and award the fellowships.
ARTICLE 8 – TERMS OF RECRUITMENT AND FINANCING
- Fixed-term contracts effective no later than December 31st, 2020.
- The employer will be Université Côte d'Azur.
- It is necessary to reside near the host laboratory for the duration of the postdoctoral contract.
- The amount of the gross monthly salary (brut mensuel) will be 3200 euros.
- This is a full-time research contract, additional activities will not be allowed.
ARTICLE 9 – LIST OF REQUIRED DOCUMENTS FOR THE APPLICATION
Regarding the candidate
- Letter of motivation explaining the reasons for choosing the host laboratory,
- Complete curriculum vitae,
- List of publications,
- Letter of recommendation from the director of the laboratory of origin.
NB: for publications in revision or in press, include the abstract and editor’s response.
Regarding the research project
- Description of the project, 6 pages maximum, including the bibliography, and specifying the feasibility and the key steps of the project,
- Half page abstract for the project.
Regarding the possible strategic positioning of the application
- Letter of commitment from the candidate to apply for an EPST chargé de recherche position in the year following his or her recruitment and listing the UCA host laboratory as her or his top placement choice.
- Letter of commitment from the supervisor to submit an ERC grant application during the year and explaining how the post-doctoral award will provide strong support for this application.
Regarding the host laboratory
- Letter of recommendation from the director of the laboratory or team that will be responsible for hosting the postdoctoral fellow,
- List of the main publications of the team and/or supervisor over the last 3 years.
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED
ARTICLE 10 – CALENDAR FOR THE CALL FOR PROPOSALS
- January 15th, 2020: launch of the call for proposals
- May 18th, 2020 : deadline for submission of files
- June 30th, 2020: notification of the results.
- December 31st 2020: deadline for taking up the position.
All candidates will be notified of the results by email no later than June 30th, 2020. No feedback will be provided.
ARTICLE 11 – TERMS OF SUBMISSION
Applications must be submitted by the UCA supervisor on the Nuxéo platform for managing UCAJEDI calls for proposals: https://nuxeo.univ-cotedazur.fr/nuxeo/nxdoc/default/d46d9991-9f3b-41f4-b3a1-1d9dfaac52e1/view_documents
All the requested documents must be compiled and merged into a single PDF file named as follows: LAST NAMEcandidate-FIRST NAMEcandidate-postdocUCA-2019
ARTICLE 1 – ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
- The candidate must have a doctorat d’université or PhD (international doctoral degree). The thesis must have been defended at the time of filing.
- The candidate must have defended his/her doctoral thesis no more than 4 years prior to the closing date for applications: the thesis must therefore have been defended after May 17th, 2016.
- The host laboratory must be within the scope of the UCAJedi.
This maximum period of 4 years may be revised and extended in the case of traditionally recognized cases such as maternity leave (100% discounted), parental leave (50% discounted), sick leave of more than 3 months, and certain other instances, which will be assessed following a substantiated request.