Vacancy for Media and Operations Intern in Brussels, BelgiumInternships 29.07.2018
ONE is a campaigning and advocacy organization of more than nine million people around the world taking action to end extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa. We believe the fight against poverty isn’t about charity, but about justice and equality. Whether lobbying political leaders in world capitals or running cutting-edge grassroots campaigns, ONE pressures governments to do more to fight AIDS and other preventable, treatable diseases in the poorest places on the planet. We empower small-holder farmers, expand access to energy, and combat corruption to ensure governments are accountable to their citizens. Cofounded by Bono, ONE is strictly nonpartisan funded by individual philanthropists and corporations.
ONE’s members are critical to this work. They come from every walk of life and from across the political spectrum. They’re artists and activists, faith and business leaders, students and scientists. They take action day in, day out — organizing, mobilizing, educating, and advocating so that people will have the chance not just to survive, but to thrive.
ONE teams in Washington D.C., New York, London, Johannesburg, Brussels, Berlin, Paris, Ottawa and Abuja to educate and lobby governments to save and improve millions of lives.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The Media and Operations Intern will support our Brussels team with ONE’s media engagement in Brussels and the EU. The Media Intern will help ONE achieve its advocacy and campaigns objectives through engagement with online, print and social media. This is an exciting entry-level opportunity for a creative team player with a keen and demonstrable interest in international development, Africa and the eradication of global poverty.
This internship will begin in September 2018 and will run until the end of December 2018 with a possibility to extend. The Media/Ops Intern will be based in our Brussels Office and will report to the Media Manager and Senior Operations Manager.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL
- Support ONE’s Media Manager in its activities
- Maintain relations with relevant EU media outlets and Brussels-based correspondents from national media in EU Member States
- Help manage ONE’s social media accounts (mainly Twitter), and work with colleagues across ONE to develop assets and content for social media
- Draft blogposts and manage visual content such as photos and videos of events
- Monitor the media in Brussels and Belgium, identifying trends and opportunities for ONE
- Support the Operations Manager with logistical planning of events and the implementation of other operations projects as required.
- Respond to public email enquiries
- Provide general administrative support as required
- Other tasks as assigned by the supervisor or the designee
WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU
- Student or recent graduate in International Development, Communications, Journalism or the equivalent
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills are essential. French, Dutch or other European languages are desirable.
- An understanding of the Brussels media market, as well as the requirements of different kinds of media i.e. print, TV, radio, and web.
- Social media experience is desirable.
- Ability to synthesise complicated policy issues into digestible products and to deal with both elite and popular media and specialist and non-specialist audiences.
- Excellent analytical and organizational capacities
- Excellent experience of MS Office tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Strong sense of teamwork and collaboration
- Demonstrable interest in campaigning, development issues and Africa
- Ability to consistently apply good judgment and make good and responsible decisions
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times
Excellent written and verbal English communication skills are essential. French, Dutch or other European languages are desirable.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Standard office work environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
If you are ready to join the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease, please submit a resume and cover letter to this opening at ONE jobs (http://www.one.org/jobs) by 21st August 2018.
ONE is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants. When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for a job, they may request it orally or in writing (please visit the Contact Us page on the web; www.one.org/us/about/contact/). ONE will process requests for reasonable accommodation and will provide reasonable accommodations where appropriate, in a prompt and efficient manner.
ONE is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, or other legally protected characteristics.
Due to the high volume of inquiries that ONE receives, we thank all candidates for their interest yet only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Only candidates authorised to work in Belgium without any restrictions need apply.