Internship with the Protection Unit of the UNHCR Representation (UNHCR) in Baku, AzerbaijanInternships 23.05.2018
Organizational Unit: Protection Unit
Duty station: Baku, Azerbaijan
Duration of the internship: June – August 2018 (with the possible extension)
Expected start date: June 1, 2018
Background information/Organizational Context: The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is mandated to lead and co-ordinate international action to protect refugees and resolve refugee problems worldwide. Its primary purpose is to safeguard the rights and well-being of refugees. It strives to ensure that everyone can exercise the right to seek asylum and find refuge in another State, return home voluntarily, integrate locally or resettle in a third country. UNHCR Azerbaijan is located in Baku and provides assistance to refugees, asylum-seekers, internally displaced persons, stateless persons and persons of undetermined nationality residing in Azerbaijan.
- Provide interns with an opportunity to gain practical work experience related to their academic programme or future work in a field related to the UNHCR’s mission;
- Allow interns to contribute to the work of the international organization and to gain experience of working in a multinational environment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Protection intern, working under the supervision of the Associate Protection Officer, will undertake the following functions:
- Assist in research, preparation and dissemination of country of origin information (COI) and managing COI library
- Interpret during the counseling sessions with refugees and Refugee Status Determination (RSD)/Resettlement interviews
- Translate documents and correspondence from English into Azeri/Russian and vice versa.
- Assist in filing documents submitted by refugees and asylum seekers
- Provide support in organizing trainings and workshops
- liaise with individual refugees or refugee communities as required
- Attend meetings and prepare minutes/notes for the file of the meetings
- Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor
- Complete all mandatory UNHCR online training programmes that are applicable to UNHCR personnel
Minimum qualifications required:
- Recent graduate or current student in a graduate/undergraduate school programme from a university or higher education facility accredited by UNESCO
- Have completed at least two years of undergraduate studies in a field relevant or of
- interest to the work of the Organization – law, human rights, political science, international relations, public policy, public administration
- Excellent knowledge of English, fluency in Azerbaijan and Russian, knowledge of other languages will be an asset.
- Ability to work fairly, independently and demonstrate initiative and flexibility to effectively benefit from the internship.
The minimum duration will be two months and the maximum six months.
Interns are considered gratis personnel and the period of internship will not be remunerated, however interns will be provided with the allowance for food and local transportation.
How to Apply:
The cover letter and Curriculum Vitae should be sent to email@example.com. Only if UNHCR wishes to actively pursue your CV, you will be contacted. Once selected, the Internship Agreement will be signed.