Vacancy for Communications and Advocacy Intern in Brussels, BelgiumInternships 29.10.2018
- Job Title: Communications and Advocacy Intern
- Unit: Advocacy and Outreach
- Reports to: Communications Coordinator and Head of Advocacy and Outreach
- Location: Brussels - Belgium
- Duration: 6 months
- Starting date: As soon as possible, preferably in November.
- Contract: 38 hours per week, 6 months under Belgian contrat d’immersion professionnelle, plus transport and meal vouchers.
About Protection International:
Protection International (PI) is an International NGO that contributes to the improvement of the protection of human rights defenders (HRDs) throughout the world. PI provides tools to develop HRDs’ capacity to manage their own security as they struggle against impunity and work in favour of human rights and democracy in their respective countries or regions. PI seeks to contribute to a situation where HRDs are recognised as legitimate actors for social change and to an environment where they can exercise their right to defend universally accepted human rights.
Protection International has its head office in Brussels, but primarily works where protecting human rights defenders is needed. We have long term presence in Colombia, Guatemala, DR Congo, Kenya, Thailand and Indonesia; and we also work with partners around the world.
Key objectives and responsibilities:
The Communications & Advocacy Internship at Protection International Head Office in Brussels provides opportunities for graduate and postgraduate students to gain an insight into the work of human rights defenders and that of an international non-profit organisation, while enriching their knowledge and experience in the fields of communications and advocacy.
The selected candidate will support PI’s Advocacy & Outreach Unit in the implementation of online communication initiatives in order to raise PI’s profile in support of Human Rights Defenders at EU and international levels:
- Update and daily management of PI’s website and online content;
- Follow-up, maintenance and daily updates of PI’s social media channels, mainly Facebook and Twitter;
- Collect and assist PI’s field offices to provide accurate and timely content for the website and social media channels;
- Assist in drafting and editing briefs, articles, and general web-entries;
- Support the development and maintenance of PI’s contact database;
- Assist in layout and translations for PI publications;
- Assist in audio-visual production and post-production (filming, editing);
- Support to advocacy work, particularly monitoring of advocacy actions;
- Other administrative tasks as required.
Education and experience:
- Bachelor Degree in relevant field (communications, political science, human rights).
- Prior experience managing social media and website content management systems (Drupal, Wordpress).
- Experience drafting newsletters and mailing lists (mailchimp).
- Fluency in English and Spanish. Native English or Spanish speaker preferred, with good working knowledge of French.
- Experience (internship or volunteer work) in a similar communications or advocacy post or with an NGO is a plus.
- Great writing and editing skills are essential, as well as story-telling skills.
- Experience/knowledge of graphic design software (Photoshop, Indesign) is an advantage.
- Experience/knowledge of video editing software (final cut) an advantage.
- Interest in human rights issues and advocacy.
To apply for the position please send your resume (CV), cover letter (max one page) and 2 references before 07 November 2018 (24:00 UTC+1) to the following email: email@example.com and include the subject line: “Communications & Advocacy internship”. Please include your name in the file name of your application documents, e.g. Laura_Smith_CV.doc.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates for an interview will be contacted.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received and interviews will be held by Skype or in person on a rolling basis. The position is open to persons legally entitled to work in the EU/Belgium.
PI will use candidates’ personal data for the purpose of this recruitment process only. All personal information will be deleted 30 days after the selected candidate has taken up his/her position.