Vacancy for European Policy Intern in Brussels, BelgiumInternships 19.11.2019
Job Title: Brussels Intern Department: Global & European Policy
Reporting to: European Policy Manager Location: Brussels
Start date: February 2020 Monthly allowance: up to 650 euros
Internship agreement: required
FTA is the largest national logistics association in Brussels, uniquely representing both operators and buyers of transport (retailers and manufacturers), with members from the road, rail, sea and air industries. We are founding members of the International Road transport Union (IRU) and the European Logistics Platform (ELP). FTA also provides the secretariat to the Global Shippers Forum (GSF), the worldwide association of importers and exporters.
Our office in Brussels has been in operation for more than 25 years and represents both FTA and FTA Ireland, the Irish logistics association.
FTA are looking for an Intern for their Brussels office for a period of approx. 6 months, starting in February 2020. This internship will provide valuable insights, contacts and experience for candidates interested in logistics, transport and trade policy and in how a leading national association operates in Brussels.
The intern will be asked to assist with a range of tasks. These will include requests to:
- support FTA Brussels-based team with the organisation of events, workshops and meetings with industry representatives and policy makers
- conduct background research into specific logistics or trade-related topics to inform FTA policy briefings, presentations, policy positions and lobbying arguments
- assist with the preparation of briefing notes and newsletter articles for FTA members;
- gather statistics and material to inform FTA’s policy team in Brussels;
- help FTA’s Brussels-based team maintain its database of institutional contacts;
- monitor policy developments and activities in and around the EU institutions on a wide range of topics, from road transport legislation to environmental policy, trade policy and Brexit;
- attend external events on behalf of FTA and prepare briefing notes to summarise these for FTA’s Brussels-based team and, as appropriate, other FTA colleagues;
- provide administrative support as requested, such as minutes drafting or preparation of the template for FTA’s Brussels newsletters.
Essential skills and qualifications
- Educated to degree level (European studies, law or politics preferred) or studying towards a degree, with a good understanding of EU processes and policy making;
- Ability to explain complex regulatory issues in simple terms;
- Excellent drafting skills & oral communication skills (English is FTA’s working language);
- Excellent organisational skills & ability to work independently;
- Pro-active attitude and solution-orientated;
- Good knowledge of Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint & social media
- Interest in the transport and logistics sector
- Prior experience in Brussels or in a trade association would be beneficial
- Knowledge of at least one of the following policy areas is desirable:
- Trade & customs
- Road transport policy & employment policy
- Environmental & climate policy.
- Any additional language – beyond English – such as Dutch or German – would be advantageous.
Please email your CV and cover letter to Sarah Laouadi (email@example.com) by 22 November.
The internship must be part of the student’s curriculum. It is only open to students whose university/school can provide an internship agreement.