Vacancy for Trainee (Security & Defense Program) in Brussels, BelgiumInternships 19.11.2019
The German Marshall Fund of the United States (GMF) strengthens transatlantic cooperation on regional, national, and global challenges and opportunities in the spirit of the Marshall Plan.
GMF does this by supporting individuals and institutions working in the transatlantic sphere, by convening leaders and members of the policy and business communities, by contributing research and analysis on transatlantic topics, and by providing exchange opportunities to foster renewed commitment to the transatlantic relationship.
In addition, GMF supports a number of initiatives to strengthen democracies. Founded in 1972 as a non-partisan, non-profit organization through a gift from Germany as a permanent memorial to Marshall Plan assistance, GMF maintains a strong presence on both sides of the Atlantic. In addition to its headquarters in Washington, D.C., GMF has offices in Berlin, Paris, Brussels, Belgrade, Ankara, Bucharest and Warsaw. GMF also has smaller representations in Bratislava, Turin and Stockholm.
Within the security & defense team, the trainee will work closely with senior GMF staff to provide research, logisitical and administrative support to projects relating to EU, NATO and transatlantic security. The successful candidate will also be involved in a major GMF conference dedicated to current Ukraine issues.This traineeship is a unique opportunity to be in close contact with the international policy community. Trainees can benefit from the Brussels environment and attend various EU releated events.
This traineeship is renumarated. Candidates with access to an Erasmus + grant are encouraged to apply.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Providing administrative and operational support to various Security & Defense team projects specifically, and GMF Brussels office programming in general.
- Assisting in the organization and coordination of Brussels based events.
- Assisting in the organization and coordination of a larger conference on Ukraine issues.
- Conducting background research and writing internal memos for various projects, including proposals, article drafts, etc.
- Preparing talking points and preparatory materials for GMF fellows and senior staff ahead of meetings and speaking engagements;
- Support running of GMFs Brussels Office and continuous update of GMF’s database of contacts;
- Assisting with administrative and logistical duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Academic background in international relations or European studies, with a least a fully completed bachelor’s degree;
- Strong interest in Europe, NATO, transatlantic security and Ukraine policy issues;
- Familiarity with European & NATO institutions desired;
- Experience in event management is a significant plus;
- Fluency in English and Russian (or Ukrainian) is an essential requirement;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook) is essential;
- Flexibility to multi-task, have an eye for detail, ability to perform under tight deadlines and work independently;
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work in a multicultural environment.
Start and Length of Traineeship:
Deadline for application: December 3, 2019
Preferred length of traineeship: 6 + months
Due to the high volume of responses, we will only contact candidates of interest.
Please send your CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that only candidates with existing Belgian residence or work permit are eligible for this position.
GMF is an Equal Opportunity Employer.