Vacancy for Senior Engineering Assistant in Baku, AzerbaijanJobs 21.07.2018
VN Number : AZVN2018-09
Position Title: Senior Engineering Assistant
Duty Station: Mingachevir, Azerbaijan
Classification: General Service Staff, Grade G7
Type of Appointment: One Year Fixed Term, with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: August 02, 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The Migration and Development Program with special focus on agriculture and water provision aims to develop initiatives addressing the needs of rural communities and vulnerable groups through design, development and implementation of projects on water provision systems, such as kahrizes that aim at increasing access to water, mainstreaming migration into development, migrant training and pre-departure orientation, promoting inter-agency partnership and fair and ethical recruitment in line with international norms.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission, and under the direct supervision of the Project Coordinator and in regular coordination/consultation with the other technical staff, the Senior Engineering Assistant will carry out field assessments, technical review, prepare cost estimates, conduct training, and prepare monitoring report of construction project.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
• Oversee renovation process of selected kahrizes in the project site;
• Participate in identification of the final beneficiary communities with high water demand;
• Conduct thorough technical review of kahrizes to be renovated within the project;
• Assist in preparation of detailed estimation of renovation costs for kahrizes planned for renovation;
• Assist in the preparation of technical design, plans, profiles, maps for the kahrizes;
• Provide feedback concerning the content of training and workshops designed for cancans;
• Provide on the job training to Kankans during the renovation work;
• Assist in the design and improvement to tools and equipment for renovation work;
• Draft necessary financial and technical reports on the project progress and recommend to the Project Coordinator on instalment payments to the Water Users’ Committee;
• Collect and periodically update the project related (kahriz renovation) data and information required for the project;
• Assist in the preparation of Water Usage Plan in close coordination with partners
• Maintain safe working environment by enforcing procedures, rules, and regulations
• Follow Quality Control measures and report on quality and timely realization of projects activities;
• Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
• Completed High School/Secondary School education from an accredited academic institution with minimum 7 years’ professional experience; or
• Competed Bachelor’s Degree in the field of engineering or related field with 5 years’ relevant experience.
• Professional experience in the field of water engineering.
• Knowledge and experience of kahriz is an advantage.
• Solid knowledge of PCs and MS Office Software (Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point, etc.); knowledge of GIS and other designing related software is an advantage
• Prior experience of working within the UN Common System or in an international/non-governmental organization a distinct advantage.
• Fluency in English and Azerbaijani is required.
• Russian (intermediate) is an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a motivation letter in English by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by the end of 02 August 2018.
Please note that only CVs with motivation letter will be reviewed and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.