Vacancy for Senior Lecturer at OSCE Academy in Bishkek, KyrgyzstanJobs 15.05.2018
(For citizens of Central Asian countries only)
Senior Lecturer / Full-time position
The OSCE Academy in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan invites applications from highly qualified scholars from Central Asia for its newly created Position of Senior Lecturer.
The OSCE Academy in Bishkek is a public foundation, created in 2002 between the Kyrgyz Government and the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE). The OSCE Academy promotes values and principles of the OSCE through post-graduate education, professional trainings and intellectual exchange. Its highly demanding MA Programmes in the fields of “Economic Governance and Development” and “Politics and Security (Central Asia)” annually accept up to 60 young professionals from Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, Afghanistan and Mongolia on a competitive basis.
The Senior Lecturer will be supporting the MA in Economic Governance and Development Programme all year round by teaching, conducting research, and performing other programmatic as well as administrative tasks. The Senior Lecturer position will be granted for one year starting on 1 August 2018, with possible extension up to 3 years. The position will be based in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan.
Key duties and responsibilities of the Senior Lecturer are as follows:
Teaching and related duties
• Conducting at least 4 credits worth of teaching per semester (Microeconomics; Introduction to Stata; Qualitative and Quantitative Research Methods; Industrial Policy; Energy Economics);
• Supervising two MA theses per year and participating in Thesis Colloquia, Thesis Defence and State Examinations as member of the Committee, including evaluating theses and grading examination papers;
• Teaching summer school or preparatory courses and organizing other extracurricular academic events.
• Under the supervision of the Director, supporting and advising the Research and Training Coordinator in identifying and developing the research programme of the Academy;
• Initiating and engaging into collaborative research programme development, strengthening the Academy’s institutional partnerships and establishing new cooperation with relevant research institutes and donor organisations;
• Conducting her/his own research (at least one article in a peer-reviewed journal per year) and involving students and other faculty members.
Other academic and administrative duties
• Supporting and assisting MA programme in student and faculty recruitment processes, by taking part in the selection and admission committees, including reviewing large numbers of applications, participating in recruitment interviews, designing and evaluating admission tests and exams;
• Providing expertise advice and guidance to Programme Manager in developing and designing programme curriculum and reviewing course syllabi’s quality to assure that they reflect programme objectives;
• Assisting with programme accreditation processes, including taking part in drafting self-evaluation reports;
• Assisting with the development and drafting of academic policies, regulations and procedures taking into consideration best practices in teaching;
• In conjunction with Director and Programme Manager promoting and taking active part in institutional and strategic development initiatives to secure external funding for programmatic and research activities;
• Preparing applications and documents for student and faculty mobility programmes under the framework of Erasmus+ and other related programmes;
• In collaboration with Director and Programme Manager, initiating contacts and establishing partnerships with other regional and international academic institutions, think tanks, governmental, non-governmental and international organizations to develop the Academy’s networks and promote its visibility.
Candidates for this position should meet the following requirements:
• Citizenship of any of the five Central Asian republics (Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, and Tajikistan);
• PhD degree in Economics;
• Record of teaching excellence and service of at least 2 years;
• Record of peer-reviewed publications;
• Excellent knowledge of English and Russian;
• Effective interpersonal and communication skills;
• Ability to travel within Central Asia and to Afghanistan and Mongolia.
The OSCE Academy will provide/cover:
• Economy class round-trip airfare from the city of current residence to Bishkek;
• Visa and work permit support;
• Competitive honorarium in the amount of 3,000 EUR per month;
• Yearly Mobility Package for professional and academic purposes;
• Office space and computer, as well as access to all facilities of the OSCE Academy.
NOTE: The Academy will not cover health insurance and expenses of family members.
Interested applicants should submit their applications to seniorlecturer-EGD@osce-academy.net by 31 May 2018, 18.00 pm Bishkek time:
- A cover letter;
- A CV with two references;
- Results of past student evaluations (if available);
- A draft syllabus for one of the courses mentioned above;
- A proposal for a multi-year research project (including methodology, schedule, and, if applicable, suggestions for cooperation).
The OSCE Academy in Bishkek is an equal-opportunity institution. It operates on the principle of non-discrimination. All recruitment decisions are taken on the basis of best qualification of the candidates, with consideration of regional and gender balance.