Vacancy for Visiting Professor at OSCE Academy in Bishkek, KyrgyzstanJobs 15.05.2018
(Scholars with affiliation to Swiss HEI only)
Temporary Full-time Position: Visiting Professor
Fall Semester 2018
The OSCE Academy in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan, invites applications from highly qualified scholars with affiliation to Higher Educational Institutes (HEI) based in Switzerland for its newly created position of Visiting Professor.
The OSCE Academy in Bishkek is a public foundation, created in 2002 between the Kyrgyz Government and the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE). The OSCE Academy promotes principles and values of the OSCE through post-graduate education, professional trainings and intellectual exchange. Its highly demanding MA Programmes in the fields of “Economic Governance and Development” and “Politics and Security (Central Asia)” annually enrol up to 60 young professionals from Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, Afghanistan and Mongolia on a competitive basis.
The Visiting Professor position will be based in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan and will start on 1 September 2018. The Visiting Professor will be initially hired for the period until 31 December 2018 with a possibility for continuation after mutual approval and the availability of funding in fall semester 2019. In general such further continuation of the collaboration is dependent upon both parties’ agreement and the Academy’s developments.
The Visiting Professor reports to the Director and/or his assignee.
Key duties and responsibilities of Visiting Professor
Teaching and other related duties:
• Teaching the following graduate level courses during the fall 2018 semester of the 2018-2019 academic year, including developing course syllabi, grading and advising students on academic aspects of the courses:
• Human Rights and International Law, 2 credits;
• Good Governance in Central Asia, 2 credits;
• Project Management, 2 credits.
• Supervising the minimum of two MA Theses per academic year;
• Participating in Thesis Colloquia, Thesis Defence and State Examinations as well as in faculty and student selection interviews;
• Advising MA Programmes with curriculum design and development;
• Implementing other programme related activities according to the schedule set in the academic calendar.
Contributing to Research and Academic Exchange at the OSCE Academy:
• Mentoring young scholars at the Academy and advising on career development as well as assisting in research project implementation;
• Participating in faculty selection interviews;
• Initiating and engaging into collaborative research programme development, strengthening the Academy’s institutional partnerships and establishing new cooperation with relevant research institutes and donor organizations;
• Conducting her/his own research and involving students and other faculty members.
• Initiating and organizing faculty and student exchange programmes with partner institutions in Europe, in particular with Swiss institutions;
Candidates for this position should meet the following requirements:
• PhD degree in Economics, Development Studies / Political Science, International Relations / or a related field;
• Record of teaching excellence and service;
• Record of peer-reviewed publications;
• Excellent knowledge of English;
• Effective interpersonal and communication skills;
Candidates for this position should show special commitment and motivation to:
• Engage into organizing and realizing additional events to increase the Academy’s public outreach;
• Seek and establish partnerships with universities abroad to facilitate student and faculty exchange;
• Help support professional academic associations in Kyrgyzstan and the region of Central Asia to advance science and academia.
The OSCE Academy will provide/cover:
• Economy class roundtrip airfare from the city of current residence to Bishkek;
• Visa and work permit support;
• Competitive international honorarium based on the qualification of the candidate;
• Office space and a computer, as well as access to all of the OSCE Academy’s facilities.
NOTE: The Academy will not cover health insurance and expenses of family members.
Interested applicants should submit their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org
by 31 May 2018, 18.00 pm Bishkek time:
- A cover letter;
- A CV with two references;
- Results of past student evaluations (if available);
- Draft syllabi for at least two of the courses mentioned above.
The OSCE Academy in Bishkek is an equal-opportunity institution. It operates on the principle of non-discrimination. All recruitment decisions are taken on the basis of best qualification of the candidates, with consideration of regional and gender balance.