Upper School Teacher of Mathematics - Full Time, Florence (city center)Jobs 31.05.2020
Start date: 25/08/2020
Contract type: Full Time
Contract term: Fixed Term
Suitable for NQTs: No
The new Mission, Vision and Strategic Plan introduced in September 2019, set in motion the process of review of our taught programmes and the structures through which we support student learning.
The Upper School, based on a beautiful campus in Florence requires a suitably qualified teacher for Mathematics. The post requires teaching experience in Mathematics (up to IB diploma or A-level) and a minimum of 2 years experience as a qualified teacher. Experience with the IB Diploma is preferred, as well as a demonstrated ability to work in collaboration with a like-minded team.
Closing date for applications: 12th June 2020, although the school reserves the right to interview and appoint as soon as an outstanding application is received.
Interviews will be via Virtual Meet or on campus if possible.
Commencement of duties: 25th August 2020
Interested candidates are invited to include a maximum 2 page A4 statement of motivation, clearly indicating your suitability for the post. This should include a response to how you might contribute to the school’s Mission, Vision and Strategic Plan statements. Please also include an up to date CV.
Interviews will be held as soon as appointable candidates are identified during the advert period.
Please see the following job description including essential and desirable attributes.
You will also need to refer to the ISF Career Development Continuum Descriptors for Effective Teachers. These documents and your letter of motivation will be a main focus for interviews.
ECIS Child Protection Level 2 Course or a recently completed recognised equivalent is essential. ISF can facilitate this if necessary.
All successful candidates will be subject to enhanced pre-employment clearance.
Job Dimensions, Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
Mathematics Teacher, Upper School
Location: Gattaia Upper School Campus, Florence
Line Management: You report directly to the Learning Leader for Mathematics
Job Specific skills, expertise and qualifications:
- Please refer to the Effective area of the Standards in the Career Development Continuum as a guide
- To encourage the development of the IB learner profile.
- To teach mathematics to students in the age range 11-18. Experience of teaching the IB Diploma would be advantageous.
- To contribute to curriculum planning and development, collaborating with the other members of the department in sharing best practice, resources and ideas.
- To promote a positive and stimulating learning environment that develops deep understanding of mathematical concepts and gives students the opportunity to appreciate the application of mathematics to other disciplines.
- To differentiate teaching to meet individual learning needs of students, providing formative feedback that nurtures student’s independence.
- To use effectively the digital tools available and currently used by the school, including mathematical software to enhance understanding.
Essential and Desirable attributes
- A professionally qualified teacher with a first degree, and holds a recognised teaching qualification.
- At least 2 years experience as a qualified teacher.
- Experience in and understanding of the expectations of learning outcomes in mathematics for students Grades 6 to 10
- Strong understanding of assessment for and of learning.
- Ability to demonstrate the capacity to think beyond disciplinary boundaries.
- An understanding of, and engagement with, research in education. Participation in the ISF Research Programme is a current or future expectation.
- A commitment to, and experience with, supporting social and emotional development.
- Child protection certificate indicating training at least to Level 2 prior to commencement (ECIS CP training provided).
- Experience of teaching in an international school context
- Master’s Degree in Education or a subject related to your area of teaching and learning
- Ability to share recent examples of your own professional learning
- Experience as a form tutor.
- Ability to demonstrate pedagogical understanding in an IB context, and a clearly articulated philosophy around what it takes to get the best out of students.
Personal attributes and skills should include:
An expectation of all staff at ISF is to come with an open mindset and the disposition and willingness to demonstrate drive, curiosity, ingenuity, and commitment to student learning wherever that takes place. Indeed, you will naturally regard the fostering of student agency as one of your main priorities.
Your disposition will naturally align with the Learner Profile of the IB.
You will understand the need for high levels of collaboration, collegiality, and collective responsibility.