Call for Applications: Knight-Hennessy Scholarships Program at Stanford UniversityMaster 05.05.2020
Deadline: 14 October 2020 at 1:00 pm
The Knight-Hennessy Scholars program is designed to be open to a broad set of qualified applicants. As such, there are no restrictions based on citizenship, age, field of study, career aspiration, etc. — nor are applicants required to seek endorsements from institutions.
Beyond eligibility for your graduate program, the eligibility factor is the year you received your undergraduate degree. Please use the guidelines below to determine whether you are eligible to apply to the Knight-Hennessy Scholars program for autumn 2021 enrollment.
Unsure if you are eligible to be a Knight-Hennessy Scholar at Stanford University? Answer a few simple questions and we can guide you.
Who is eligible to apply?
Applicants from All Countries Welcome
We encourage applications to Knight-Hennessy Scholars from residents of all countries.
Any Academic Discipline in any of Stanford’s Graduate Schools
You are eligible to apply to the Knight-Hennessy Scholars program if you are applying to enroll in a full-time graduate program(s) at Stanford (for example, but not limited to, DMA, JD, MA, MBA, MD, MFA, MPP, MS, or PhD) or if you plan on pursuing one of Stanford’s many joint- and dual- graduate degree options (for example, but not limited to, MD+PhD, JD+MA, MBA+MS).
While we are excited to build a cohort that reflects the breadth of excellence at Stanford, there are no allocations or quotas by discipline or program.
Please note, however, that we will give priority to applicants who will spend at least two years at Stanford. We do not believe one year is sufficient to form the community we envision and benefit from the leadership platform we are developing.
Rooted in the year you received your undergraduate degree
You are eligible to apply to the Knight-Hennessy Scholars program if you received your first/bachelor’s degree in 2014 or later. That means:
- You must have graduated in January 2014 through September 2021 to enroll at Stanford in autumn 2021.
- U.S. military (active or veteran) applicants: You receive a two-year extension of eligibility due to longer service commitments. You are eligible if you earned your undergraduate (bachelor's or first) degree in 2012 or later.
If you are still in college studying for your first/bachelor’s degree, you are eligible to apply as long as you will complete your first/bachelor’s degree before you enroll as a graduate student at Stanford.
New Leaders for New Challenges
We believe the Knight-Hennessy Scholars program will attract the most promising future leaders from all disciplines and geographies. As a scholar, you will broaden your knowledge, develop skills, and strengthen your character; this will prepare you to effect positive change.
What We're Seeking in a Scholar
There is neither a typical nor an ideal Knight-Hennessy Scholar. In selecting Knight-Hennessy Scholars, we look primarily at three areas:
1. Independence of Thought
- Exhibits first-step mental sharpness
- Seeks out knowledge and new experiences
- Full of original ideas
- Makes sense of ambiguity
- Can hold a contrarian or dissenting point of view
2. Purposeful Leadership
- Ambitious, in the best sense
- Driven to improve self
- Able to bring others along
- Persistent and resilient
3. Civic Mindset
- Personally humble and kind
- Supportive and accountable
- Embraces difference
- Concerned for and helpful to others
We find evidence of these selection criteria throughout your application and, if you are selected as a finalist, at Immersion Weekend. We look forward to getting to know you, what you have done, your influences, ideals, hopes, and dreams.
A Distinctive Opportunity
We designed the Knight-Hennessy Scholars admission process with the goals of allowing you to know yourself better, enabling us to understand you, and empowering you to make your best case for admission — all while making the application process itself a great experience for you.
You must apply separately to the Knight-Hennessy Scholars program and to your Stanford graduate degree program.
- You must submit all Knight-Hennessy Scholars application materials in English via our online application. We do not accept materials sent via email or postal mail.
- We highly recommend that you apply using a current version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
- For reference only, here is a PDF sample of the application for the autumn 2021 intake.