Special Program in Japanese and Central Eurasian Studies (1+3 Combined MA and PhD Program)PhD 03.12.2017
Established in October 1973, the University of Tsukuba has inherited the history and tradition handed down from its predecessor (Tokyo University of Education), which was founded in 1872. As the first comprehensive university in Japan to be established under a nation-wide university reform plan, the University of Tsukuba emphasizes openness in higher education. It offers students a new system of education and research through its New University administration.
The 1+3 Combined MA and PhD English-language program is a unique program offering students MA and Ph.D. degrees in Japanese and Eurasian Studies in Japan. It is intended for students from the Eurasian region (Central Asia, Russia, CIS countries, Mongolia). Classes, guidance, and writing theses and dissertations are conducted in English. Areas of expertise consist of various subjects related to the humanities and social sciences disciplines including the fields of Japanese, Eurasian and International Studies. The graduates of the program are expected to promote cultural, economic, and technological exchanges between Japan and the Eurasian continent as well as to play active roles in the educational and research institutes of their home countries.
The program consists of a 1-year Master’s Program and a 3-year Doctoral Program for a total of 4 years. Over the course of their studies, students will have an opportunity to receive their education using Englishlanguage-based curriculum in addition to having an opportunity to enroll in complimentary Japanese language education. By the end of their studies, students are expected to be proficient in both the English and Japanese languages in addition to becoming leading specialists in the chosen area of their specialization. The curriculum of the program features, among other subjects, seminars conducted by JICA, UN, ADB and governmental agencies, colloquiums based on collaborative research projects and internships at the Japanese companies. Those graduating from this combined “1+3” program will be in a position to seek employment in the academic and research institutions, UN agencies, governmental institutions and corporate community.
In order to be considered eligible to apply, you must fulfill all of the following criteria:
- Nationality. Applicants must be from Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova, Azerbaijan, Armenia, Georgia, or Mongolia (13 countries).
- Age. Applicants who have been born on or after April 2, 1983.
- Educational background. Applicants who have an undergraduate degree and who have completed 16 years of school education.
- Language Qualifications. Applicants must demonstrate their English language proficiency by submitting scores received on English Language Proficiency Tests (Approximate scores are around TOEFL IBT 80, TOEFL CBT 230, TOEFL PBT 500, IELTS 6.0). JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) Level N5 or higher is desirable. The scores above provided as approximate ones and each applicant’s ability will be checked and considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Arrival in Japan. Applicants must be able to arrive in Japan by the last week of September 2018.
- Other. Any applicant who falls under the following conditions is not eligible. If identified after the commencement of the scholarship period, the applicant will be required to withdraw from the scholarship.
- The applicant was a grantee of a Japanese Government Scholarship in the past. (Those who have previously been awarded MEXT scholarship may apply for the MEXT scholarship under this program only after 3 years from the time of completion of their previous MEXT-sponsored studies.)
- The applicant is already the recipient of a scholarship from an organization other than the Japanese government.
- The applicant is considered a “future graduate’ and selected as such, is unable to graduate within the present date or unable to fulfill graduation requirements.
Those demonstrating outstanding abilities will be awarded the following scholarships (5 scholarships per year) on a competitive basis. Amount of scholarship is 144,000 yen (MA student), 145,000 yen (PhD student) as of FY 2014. This amount is subject to change.
Each grantee of the MEXT scholarship under this program will be provided with an airplane ticket from the international airport nearest to his/her home address in his/her home country to Narita International Airport. Upon completion, the grantee will be provided with an airplane ticket if he returns to his/her home country during the designated period of time.
First Stage: The completion and submission of the Preliminary Application Form is the first stage of application process.
The application form should be sent to the following address: E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Second Stage: An interview and exam conducted in the applicant’s home country constitutes the second stage of screening. Each applicant should bring all related documents (certifying statements of academic and professional background; authenticated English proficiency certificate [TOEFL or GRE]; and basic Japanese language skills are an asset) on the interview day or send them by post to the following address. Special Program in Japanese and Central Eurasian Studies Graduate School of Humanities and Social Sciences University of Tsukuba Tennodai 1-1-1, Tsukuba-shi, Ibaraki-ken JAPAN 305-8571 E-mail: email@example.com
Application Checklist for the Second Stage *These are to be submitted only by those applicants who passed the first stage of application process.
- 8 photographs (30x40mm)
- Letter of Recommendation is sealed envelope.
- Official transcripts or official copies of diplomas from all undergraduate and graduate institutions previously attended. *If you are currently studying at the university, please submit a current transcript.
- TOEFL, IELTS, GRE etc. original score report. *The test should be taken no earlier than 2 years prior the submission date of your application.
- JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Certificate) Level N5 or higher (if available)
DOWNLOAD Application Guidelines 1+3 program Guidelines
DOWNLOAD Application Form 1+3 Application form