Apply now: Doctoral Program of the Berlin School of Mind & BrainPhD 06.12.2018
The Berlin School of Mind and Brain is a graduate institution of Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, in collaboration with Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin. The school is the first-prize winner of the “Einstein Doctoral Programme 2017–2019” competition. The interdisciplinary research, education, and training in the Berlin School of Mind and Brain takes place in English, and the focus is on the interface between the humanities and behavioral sciences with the neurosciences.
The Berlin School of Mind and Brain offers ...
- A three-year structured doctoral program “Mind and Brain” in English with a near-zero drop-out rate.
- Ample opportunities in research, education and training in one of Europe’s largest mind and brain research communities,
- A series of tailor-made courses (“teaching weeks”) on subjects relevant for interdisciplinary mind and brain research,
- Access to specialized scientific soft- and hard-skill courses,
- Assignment of at least two professorial thesis advisors – usually one from the brain sciences, one from the mind sciences, in order to ensure the interdisciplinary impact and support for your work,
- Regular meetings with leading international researchers at scientific meetings and international lecture series in Berlin,
- Research collaboration with master’s students of the two-track program “Mind and Brain” as well as with postdoctoral researchers,
- Travel support to attend national and international conferences,
- Journal and methods clubs,
- Academic retreats,
- Mentoring programs and coaching,
- Established partnerships with universities nationally and internationally set up for research and training exchange, joint conferences and workshops, and lab rotations.
How to apply
Please go to the page Requirements and read this page carefully. It explains the information and documents that will be requested during the application through our Online Application Tool. We only accept applications made through the Online Application Tool.
The 15 January is the obligatory deadline for students without secured funding. Program starts end of September / early October 2019. For information regarding your application, your research proposals, potential supervisors, required previous degrees, please see Application, Faculty, and Research. For further information, please visit http://www.mind-and-brain.de/doctoral-program.
Interviews for invited applicants (the application deadline is 15 January 2019) will take place around 5–10 April 2019 in Berlin. Invited applicants will receive reimbursement for part of or all of their travel expenses, depending on circumstances.
Funding for the doctorate
In 2019 and 2020, a number of “Mind & Brain” and DAAD scholarships will available to the best applicants. Students with an Einstein Center for Neurosciences PhD Fellowship may join the school after the first six months of lab rotations. Other accepted students will receive intensive advice, support and sometimes tie-over funding in order to be able to successfully apply for and join the school with other external funding/scholarships.
For details on all of this, see internal page Funding