Call for applications for the Berlin Graduate School of Social Sciences (BGSS) in Berlin, GermanyPhD 20.12.2018
The BGSS seeks international applicants interested in completing a doctoral degree at Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin. Outstanding academic records, first research experience and a strong dedication to becoming a researcher in the Social Sciences are expected.
Regular members are admitted graduate students who have successfully passed the international BGSS application process. During the three year doctoral program regular members fulfill all milestones of the structured training program, leading them to their doctoral degree. Research stays abroad, participation in conferences or workshops as well as guest lectures are supported.
Minimum Requirements (see detailed information)
- M.A. degree (120 CP, state accreditation) or equivalent (Magister, Diplom) in Social Sciences (Sociology, Political Science, International Studies).
- English language proficiency at C1-level or equivalent
- The regular application period for all candidates for the academic year 2019 is until January 7, 2019, 12:00 noon (CET). Please complete your online application here.
- We plan to have interviews in February 2019. Please read our information regarding doctoral funding carefully.
- We will have a 2nd Call for Applications in August 2019 for candidates who have already been granted doctoral funding (e.g. doctoral scholarships or research positions at BGSS partner institutions or the HU Department of Social Sciences) and want to start their PhD as well in October 2019 at the BGSS.
Application Documents (see detailed information)
The application is to be submitted via our online application platform. The following documents are compulsory and need to be uploaded (PDF - not write protected - or JPEG file format only):
- Mission Statement (500 words maximum)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Certificate of English Language Ability (TOEFL, IELTS, C-level etc.)
- Exposé of your doctoral project (5-10 pages)
- Copies of degrees and certificates (official transcripts, diplomas, including translations into German or English, if necessary)
- Two letters of recommendation sent directly to the BGSS
For futher information please contact us via bgss (at) cms.hu-berlin.de