Call for Applications: Junior Research Scholarship | Research on Canada-Asia Trade and InvestmentPhD 17.10.2018
The Asia Pacific Foundation of Canada (APF Canada) is committed to fostering the next generation of Asia Pacific researchers and practitioners. To this end, it is offering a three-month Junior Research Scholarship for applicants interested in learning more about Canada-Asia trade and investment relations. Applicants should be Canadians who have completed an undergraduate or graduate degree programs within 24 months of the application deadline of Sunday, December 16, 2018. The successful applicant will be notified in mid-December.
The Junior Research Scholar will work at the Foundation’s Vancouver office and will complete a program of research and other work related to the Foundation’s research. Successful applicants will have the following qualifications:
- Excellent research skills;
- Degree or significant coursework in economics and/or international relations;
- Good interpersonal skills;
- Interest in learning about the Canada-Asia trade and investment relations.
Benefits to the Junior Research Scholar
The Junior Research Scholar will work under the mentorship of one or more of the Foundation’s program managers, and will engage in three types of activities:
- Working with the APF Canada’s research team in conducting research on Canada-Asia trade and investment relations;
- Providing support to APF Canada Investment Monitor project;
- Working under the guidance of the Foundation’s research team to produce one or more short analytical essays (700 – 1,000 words) on a topic chosen by the applicant in consultation with APF Canada staff.
Applicants should be Canadian citizens or permanent residents who have recently completed an undergraduate or graduate degree program no later than 24 months prior to the application deadline.
The Junior Research Scholar will be encouraged to work out of the Foundation’s head office in downtown Vancouver, Monday to Friday, during normal office hours for five days a week.
Amount of grant
The amount of the grant will be $8,400, and will be payable in three installments, the first at the beginning of the scholarship, the second at the midpoint of the scholarship, and the third upon successful completion of the scholarship deliverables (described under “Benefits to the Junior Research Scholar”).
The recipient should be able to complete the scholarship for three months between January 2019 and April 2019. There is a possibility of extension upon mutual agreement of the recipient and the Foundation.
Applications should include the following:
- Résumé detailing the applicant’s academic background, skills and professional experiences;
- 1-2-page cover letter detailing the applicant’s career interests and goals, how they hope to benefit from the scholarship, and why they are interested in working in the thematic area specified in the call for applications;
- Copy of applicant’s university undergraduate and master’s degree (if applicable) transcript(s) (scanned or electronic copies are sufficient);
- An academic writing sample no more than 10 pages single spaced;
- Name, title and contact information (email and phone number) for two references.
References will be contacted only if the applicant is short-listed for the scholarship.
Application documents should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org, and should reference “Junior Research Scholarship” in the subject line.
Applications are accepted in English and French. The deadline to submit an application is Sunday, December 16, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. (PDT).
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Applications are considered on a rolling basis so please submit your application once it is prepared.