Call for Applications: ETH Doctoral Scholarship Programme in SwitzerlandPhD 24.03.2020
Deadline: 30 April 2020
The Engineering for Development (E4D) doctoral scholarships promote doctoral research for the benefit of underprivileged people in low-income countries. It awards two doctoral scholarships per year and promotes innovative projects that are directly relevant for improving the livelihoods of underprivileged people in low-income countries.
- The general entrance requirements for doctoral studies at the ETH Zurich and at the respective department must be fulfilled.
- Experience in the selected research area is required.
- Preference will be given to citizens of Least Developed Countries and other Low-Income Countries according to the OECD DAC-list classification1 (soft factor).
The E4D doctoral scholarship is around EUR 164674.88 for a period of three years. The scholarship period can be extended to a no-cost extension. Out of the scholarship grant, EUR 158,000 is reserved to cover the salary of the E4D Fellow for three years (level of employment: 100%, incl. social security), EUR 7,760 for material costs and/or travels. Employment after the granted time period must be financed by other sources.
The application procedure consists of two steps.
- The candidate submits a concept note to the E4D programme office by e-mail to Ms. Patricia Heuberger (firstname.lastname@example.org). The deadline for submitting concept notes is 30 April 2020. Only concept notes fulfilling all indicated requirements will be taken into consideration and will be evaluated by the ETH4D Committee for Exchanges with regard to their suitability for an E4D Scholarship.
- Candidates whose concept note is accepted by the ETH4D Committee for Exchanges elaborate a full proposal together with the professor who agreed to supervise the project. If the candidate and the professor do not know each other, they must set up a meeting to discuss the full proposal elaboration. This meeting is either a face-to-face meeting or a skype meeting.