Call for Applications, Active Nonviolence: Peace begins with you(th) is on!Training 21.07.2018
We’re inviting applications for the 5th training for youth workers by Towards a Nonviolent World. Download the call for application here. The online phase will start late August, the training will be from September 17-23, 2018. (arrival 16th, departure 24th, or 23rd after 18:00!). It will take place just across the border of The Netherlands with Germany in a village called “Keeke” at “De Vlierhof”, 30 min. from the airport of Dusseldorf/Weeze.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
“Active Nonviolence: peace begins with you(th)” has the aims to: empower youth workers by knowledge, insights and skills to prevent violent escalation of conflicts, transform conflicts and engage in (inter-cultural) peaceful interactions and relations, increase the capacity and cooperation of Peace Builders in Europe, and impact society and support one another to sustain the motivation to be a Peace Builder.
In order to meet those aims, the project has three phases with the following objectives:
Online Learning Stage:
- Reflect on the complexity of three important themes: understanding violence, understanding conflict and understanding power, through three webinars, online discussions and readings.
- Create a common starting point for the training course.
- Prepare action-plans, clarify the project and facilitate ongoing exchange and support (by trainers and fellow participants) after the training to increase follow-up activities.
- Learn and practice communication skills, empathy, cultural sensitivity, conflict de-escalation and third-party intervention, the ‘key skills’ of Conflict Resolution (CR) and Peacebuilding (PB), through roleplays and games.
- Provide positive examples and opportunities for youth & youthworkers to be more involved in peacebuilding, and discuss how they can empower youth with the skills they’ve practiced.
- Provide campaigning/advocacy tools, to strengthen the voices of youth for peace in society.
- Enhance international exchange, knowledge and the professional network of youth workers to increase their work-performance.
Implementing, sharing and expanding the knowledge, skills and results of the Training, through campaigning, to impact society and encourage more people to learn and apply CR and PB strategies.
We’re looking for 24 youth workers who will share their new knowledge and skills with youth they work with, from or residing in: The Netherlands, Poland, Romania, Norway, Spain and Turkey. By youth workers, we understand social workers, group leaders, trainers/ facilitators, employees of Non-Governmental Organizations, activists, etc., who work with youth outside of schools and can impact youth directly, or indirectly (through policy, lobbying or advocacy for example). We are especially inviting people with a migrant/ refugee background to apply.
Participation fee: 60 euro*
All accomodation is covered. Travel costs (of any means of transportation) to and from your home to the venue (and no additional detours!) are covered up to the following maxima:
- Turkey: €360 (incl. visa costs, if any.)
- Norway: for > 2000km (e.g. Tromso) €360, and for less (e.g. Oslo) €275.
- Poland: €360 (same as above)
- Romania: €275
- Spain: €275
- Netherlands: for >100km €180, less €20
The travel expenses are reimbursed after the training course, upon receiving a PDF that includes your receipts of your journey (and only that for which receipts are presented will be covered!). International bank transfers or currency transfers are for the account of the participants.
*scholarships are available for those in need, please write to us.
We will select the most passionate and committed trainees, according to three criteria:
1) motivation to learn more about nonviolence and peacebuilding because it is relevant for their work, 2) ability to share their learning with the partner organization and youth, 3) feasible and relevant ideas for follow-up activity and a committment to implement these.