Call for Applications, Global Politics Workshop Ukraine 2019Workshops 22.03.2019
Deadline: 27 March 2019
Open to: PhDs, PostDocs, young professionals from Ukraine
Venue: April 12 – 20, 2019, in Lviv, Ukraine (session period: April 13-19, 2019)
The future of Ukraine between the EU and Russia looks quite difficult: Hostilities remain and the Minsk process seems to be heading towards a dead end, if it is not dead already. However, the conflict in only one piece of the puzzle. Ukraine’s internal politics and the EU’s reluctance to discuss membership add to the complexity of the current situation. This year’s workshop will therefore address the question of how to deal and live with conflicts as the new normal.
How can academia contribute to moderating (if not solving) conflicts? Which theories and topics are currently being discussed at the interface of global politics and conflict research? Participants are encouraged to discuss these recent developments and put forward new ideas for academia and teaching alike.
The workshop aims at supporting Ukraine in terms of civic development through network building, respectively by connecting Ukrainian and German researchers. We therefore invite PhD students and PostDocs to exchange their views on various topics – especially touching upon Europe, the European Union and challenges that come along with recent political developments.
- Prof. Dr. Klaus Segbers, Director, Center for Global Politics, Freie Universität Berlin
- Dr. Kateryna Zarembo, Deputy Director, New Europe Center, Kiev
- Stefan Halling, Visiting Vellow SWP, Research Division Eastern Europe and Eurasia (tbc)
- Dominik Sonnleitner, Research Fellow, Institute for East-European Studies, Freie Universität Berlin
- M.A. in Political Science, International Relations or a related field
- Currently working on your PhD proposal, PhD thesis or having earned a PhD in Pol.Sc. or IR (young?)
- Currently teaching and/ or researching Doc or PostDoc level at a University in Ukraine or Germany
- Take part in a one-of-kind-workshop that connects young researchers from Ukraine and Germany and creates long lasting networks
- Expand your knowledge and skills in conflictology/ conflict studies
- Discuss your research and get feedback from your peers
- Earn a certificate worth 3 ECTS from two renown universities
- All participants receive travel grants; food, housing and events are covered by DAAD
Note: admission fee: 25 €
- Letter of motivation (including your research interests)
- Curriculum Vitae (Resume)
- Proof of excellent knowledge of English
In order to apply, register HERE.