Call for Applications for Workshop “Journalists for Change”Workshops 27.09.2019
- CALL FOR APPLICATIONS -
The regional office “Dialogue Eastern Europe” of the Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung invites progressive journalists, bloggers and media activists to apply for the workshop on social aspects of environmental issues which will take place from the 10th until the 14th of November 2019 in Lviv (Ukraine).
Environmental and climate related topics have already extended far beyond the limits of scientific theory. Humanity is facing the consequences of natural disasters caused by environmental pollution and climate change. Ecological behavior and ethics are becoming an important part of the public discourse. However, in the Eastern Partnership region and Russia, these topics still remain rather narrowly-focused. For many citizens, the effects of climate change are obscure and far from their everyday lives, happening somewhere in Siberia, the Arctic, Southeast Asia or Latin America. But at the same time, they influence all spheres of our life: they impact not only the everyday problems of ordinary citizens, but also reflect social injustice, economic contradictions as well as conflicts existing in society.
Our intent is to help journalists improve their general knowledge of environmental issues and their ability to find socio-economic connections and contradictions in environmental events. We want to motivate journalists to create proper and comprehensible media content and investigations using new progressive formats and approaches.
The workshop includes meetings with ecology and climate as well as media experts, a training and a field trip.
Goals of the program
The goal of the workshop is to enhance the professional expertise of journalists in the fields of social and environmental policy as well as to foster the free exchange of journalistic methods and experiences across the Eastern Partnership region and Russia.
· The working languages of the workshop are Russian and English.
· All costs related to the program will be covered by the Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung.
· Participation is mandatory during the entire three-day program.
· Citizenship of Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova, Russia and Ukraine.
· Age between 25 and 40.
· At least 2 years of professional experience in a media outlet.
· Fluency in Russian or English.
· Motivation to work on social issues in the home country.
· Willingness to contribute at least one article on social issues after the workshop.
- To apply, please fill in the application form.
- The application deadline is September 29th 11:59 pm (Kyiv time). Later applications will not be accepted or evaluated.
- The results will be announced on October 8th. Shortlisted candidates may be invited for an interview.
- The organization team aims to ensure gender balance of participants in the program.